Region and Activities

The Paradise with its surrounding is equally suitable for sporting and cultural activities, as well as for tourism explorations. Hiking and biking trough dreamy nature protection area, swimming and boat trips on the Rhine or a guided tour through our historic site as well as a visit to our internationally well-known Iron Library - we could continue this list in any order.

Here, we also give you our support and recommend you our network of external partners in the area of Event Support and Team Building. Take advance of our experience.

Klostergut Paradies

1 GF Training Center

The former convent offers a range of seminar rooms equipped with the latest technology. Around 9'000 GF employees and guests of third-party events enjoy the inspiring peace in a historical setting every year.


2 Iron Library

The Iron Library is one of the world’s largest specialist libraries dealing with the history of iron and steel, technology, science and plastics. More than 1'000 guests attend tours and events each year.


3 Eligius Metalworking Guild

The former wash house has been home to the Eligius Metalworking Guild since 1975. The guild has some 40 members, who have made it their goal to maintain and preserve the craft of metalworking.


4 St. Michael’s Abbey

This is the heart of the complex. Today it is used as a parish church and is owned by the Catholic parish of Schlatt. While its core stems from the 13th century, it was restored in 1587 following a fire. It has remained intact to this day and was renovated between 2000 and 2002.


5 Convent Park

The convent maintained a garden as far back as the 16th century. A splendid arboretum comprising 32 deciduous and eight coniferous species of tree was established around the old groups of white poplars from 1951 onward. The magnificent garden covers a total area of around 1'200 m2.


6 Gatehouse

The oldest building in the complex dates back to 1588 and is one of the oldest in the canton of Thurgau. The building originally included accommodation for the guards. The North face of the gate arch features the crests of the six Catholic municipalities that were involved in restoring the convent after the Reformation: Glarus, Zug, Lucerne, Uri, Unterwalden and Schwyz.


7 Agriculture

The estate covers approximately 65 hectares of meadows and fields, around half of which is used for agricultural purposes. Georg Fischer AG acquired the entire complex in 1918 in order to provide “food and accommodation to employees”.


8 Mühlibach (formerly Schwarzach)

GF's founder set up a hammer mill on the stream running through the estate in the 19th century. A Francis turbine was inaugurated behind the wash house in 1999 as part of the celebrations to mark 125 years of the Winterthur School of Technology.


9 Ferry to Büsingen

The Paradies – Büsingen ferry has been running for over 40 years. The owner of the company, Roland Walter, operates two ferries that carry up to 500 passengers a day in Summer along the 160-meter route from Paradies to Büsingen and back.

Find out more:
www.faehre-paradies.ch and www.schiffsbetrieb-paradies.ch


10 Restaurant Paradies

The Restaurant Paradies is situated directly on the banks of the Rhine and has been running since the 18th century. The building was renovated in 2008. The restaurant has a welcoming terrace with seating for more than 200 people right on the river.