The oldest building in the complex dates back to 1588 and is one of the oldest in the canton of Thurgau. The building originally included accommodation for the guards. The North face of the gate arch features the crests of the six Catholic municipalities that were involved in restoring the convent after the Reformation: Glarus, Zug, Lucerne, Uri, Unterwalden and Schwyz.
The former convent offers a range of seminar rooms equipped with the latest technology. Around 9'000 GF employees and guests of third-party events enjoy the inspiring peace in a historical setting every year.
The Iron Library is one of the world’s largest specialist libraries dealing with the history of iron and steel, technology, science and plastics. More than 1'000 guests attend tours and events each year.
This is the heart of the complex. Today it is used as a parish church and is owned by the Catholic parish of Schlatt. While its core stems from the 13th century, it was restored in 1587 following a fire. It has remained intact to this day and was renovated between 2000 and 2002.
The convent maintained a garden as far back as the 16th century. A splendid arboretum comprising 32 deciduous and eight coniferous species of tree was established around the old groups of white poplars from 1951 onward. The magnificent garden covers a total area of around 1'200 m2.
The estate covers approximately 65 hectares of meadows and fields, around half of which is used for agricultural purposes. Georg Fischer AG acquired the entire complex in 1918 in order to provide “food and accommodation to employees”.
GF's founder set up a hammer mill on the stream running through the estate in the 19th century. A Francis turbine was inaugurated behind the wash house in 1999 as part of the celebrations to mark 125 years of the Winterthur School of Technology.
The Paradies – Büsingen ferry has been running for over 40 years. Two ferries carry up to 500 passengers a day in Summer along the 160-meter route from Paradies to Büsingen and back.
Find out more:
The Restaurant Paradies is situated directly on the banks of the Rhine and has been running since the 18th century. The building was renovated in 2008. The restaurant has a welcoming terrace with seating for more than 200 people right on the river.